UK Government Support
Over the past 5 years, over 50 enquiries from foreign investors have been assisted by the Into Somerset team. Many of these have benefitted from an introduction via the Department for International Trade (formerly known as the UK Trade and Investment -'UKTI') team that operates across the World.
The Depratment for International Trade is a Government department working with businesses based in the United Kingdom to ensure their success in international markets. With 2,400 staff and a presence in 96 countries, they can assist you on every step of the investment decision.
The UK is the number 1 destination for Foreign and Direct Investment (FDI) in Europe, and Somerset and the South West plays their part in attracting those investments. Many delegations from across Europe and from China have been hosted on visits.
Companies choose to expand or move their businesses to the UK because it’s an ideal location. More companies locate their European headquarters in the UK than anywhere else in Europe.
The UK has:
- people with the talent and right skills
- a simple and competitive tax rate system
- a transparent regulatory system making it easier to do business
Assistance from the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership
The Heart of the South West (HotSW) area which includes Somerset, along with Devon, Torbay and Plymouth, is increasingly a destination of choice for growing companies from the UK and overseas.
The Heart of the South West Inward Investment Team offers a service which includes access to a network of local experts who can advise on relocation, such as:
- specific and current property and site searches
- statistics and market information
- networking opportunities and a business introduction service
- practical guidance on local planning and regulation
- access to recruitment and training support
- assistance in sourcing relevant funding opportunities
- extensive quality of life information, for example housing, schools, health and leisure details
- On-going account management after a company has landed, to encourage sustainable growth.
Financial and in-kind business support grants and incentives are often available, perhaps for a specific industry, period of time, or location, and the Heart of the South West team can signpost companies to the most appropriate support, and often assist with application.
Contact Julia on 07920 530880 or by firstname.lastname@example.org
Grow your business with European Funding?
The Somerset LEADER programmes are part of the Rural Development Programme for England (RDPE) 2014-2020. There are five area programmes covering the county of Somerset –
- Heart of Wessex
- West of England
- Levels & Moors
- Making It Local
- Western Somerset
From late 2015 they will start taking enquiries from businesses looking to grow.
Each area has slightly different local objectives but each encompasses the six programme priorities:
- Support for increasing farm productivity
- Support for micro and small enterprises and farm diversification
- Support for rural tourism
- Provision of rural services
- Support for cultural and heritage activity
- Support for increasing forestry productivity
If you want to check out eligibility for support and see which part of Somerset is covered by each of the 5 area programmes please go to http://www.somersetleader.org.uk/