In terms of commuting distances and times to work, two-thirds of Somerset's working population travel less than six miles to work; and there is an influx of workers into the County to some of the specialist businesses/sectors from further afield - all facilitated by good communications.
The M5 and the A303 run east to west across the county
- 5 motorway junctions and 3 services
- A303 artery linking to the M3 and the South East
- Less than 2 hours to the M25 & Heathrow
- 2 hours to Birmingham and the M6
- 1 hour from South Wales via the Severn Bridge
- 2.5 hours to London
- 1 hour from Yeovil to Exeter, with Taunton to Exeter just 30 minutes
- 50 minutes from Bridgwater to Bristol
Excellent railway links to London and the South East, the Midlands and all the way to Cornwall, and less than an hour's drive from sea ports at Avonmouth and Weymouth
- Bristol Port Company handles over 12m tonnes of freight per year
- The Port of Weymouth is less than an hour's drive away and offers regular ferries to Europe and daily fresh fish catches
- 8 railway stations in Somerset as well as growing freight traffic including aggregates from the Mendips into London and SE
- Rail from Taunton/Yeovil to Brussels in 5 hours
- Rail from Taunton to London (Paddington) 2 hours
- Rail from Yeovil to London (Waterloo) 2 hours 15 minutes
- Rail from Taunton/Bridgwater to Bristol 40 minutes
- Rail from Yeovil to Exeter 1 hour
- Rail from Castle Cary to London Paddington 1 hour 40 minutes
No more than 1 hour away from 4 international airports: Bristol, Exeter, Bournemouth and Cardiff
- UK internal flights
- European flights
- Links to and from Bristol and Exeter airports to 'hub' airports such as Amsterdam or Heathrow means travellers to and from Somerset are linked to any international destination.
- Low cost carriers Easyjet and Flybe operate out of Bristol and Exeter airports respectively.
Shipping via the Royal Portbury and Avonmouth Docks, one of the largest ports in Europe, allows large loads to dock within 30 miles of Hinkley Point, and be on the M5/A303 network to other major businesses in the County straight away.