- Population of 530,000
- Main towns of Taunton, Yeovil, Bridgwater and Frome
- vibrant market towns and tranquil, rural villages
- Just to the south-west of the cities of Bath & Bristol
- Traditional values and modern-day business success
- Home to internationally known companies including Aerosystems International; AgustaWestland (now Leonardo); Clarks shoes; Honeywell Aerospace; Mulberry; Numatic International; Yeo Valley
- Served by Bristol & Exeter airports with UK Domestic and international flights - less than an hour to either airport from Taunton or Yeovil
- M5 & A303 road links - 2 hours to Birmingham; 2.5 hours to London
- Train lines: Taunton & Castle Cary main line stations into London Paddington within 2 hours; and Crewkerne, Yeovil Junction & Templecombe main line stations into London Waterloo within 2.5 hours
- Business support via the Somerset County Council and the 5 Local District Councils: Mendip; Taunton Deane; Sedgemoor; South Somerset; & West Somerset
- in conjunction with Devon, Plymouth & Torbay, Somerset is part of the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership and is working collaboratively on key sectors: Agri-food; Marine; Aerospace & advanced engineering; and Nuclear energy
Somerset has a relatively stable economy, with many economic indicators performing better than the regional and national averages.
Serving the city of Wells and the towns of Frome, Gastonbury, Shepton Mallet and Street, the Mendip area lies just to the south west of the larger Cities of Bath and Bristol. The District has strong some strong sectors including the Creative Industries and Food & Drink.
Bridgwater is the main town of Sedgemoor District, but there is also significant urban areas with employment at Burnham and Highbridge, Cheddar and at North Petherton.
The District's principle town of Yeovil sees many small companies providing part of the supply chain for the big Aerospace and advanced engineering employers of Agusta Westland and BAE Systems. In Yeovil, the District Council operates the Yeovil Innovation Centre where purpose designed office suites and modern, contemporary networking areas are provided to innovative businesses looking to grow and thrive.
The County town of Taunton is currently focusing on a number of major areas for development and renewal. Close to the centre of the town are the 'Firepool' area; the Cultural Quarter; the Tangier area; and with Town Centre Retail also important. The town of Wellington also offers scope to grow a business.
Minehead is the principle town for West Somerset, with Williton and a range of other small towns making up the very rural district where much of the area lies within the Exmoor National Park.